Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Jeju Guide: Preview

Since I've noticed that most blog posts about Jeju are just random collections of photos with little practical information for someone planning a trip, I've decided to call my posts about Jeju a "Jeju Guide". I'll try my best to provide practical information for people who want to plan their own trip to Jeju, rather than joining a tour group like Adventure Korea (not that there's anything wrong with joining a tour group, but some people like to do their own thing).


So, the question for today is: What is Jejudo? Well, the simple answer is an island in the southernmost part of South Korea where the temperature is warm enough year long to sustain growing oranges, pineapples, kiwis and lots of palm trees. But, I think anyone living in Korea has heard the basics, so I think that question should be answered with some photos.

Jeju is....

Beautiful sights...

Hallasan, an extinct volcano which is South Korea's highest peak, but easy enough to climb for even the most inexperienced climbers...

Stone walls made from volcanic rock...

Tropical looking beaches with amazing blue water...

Harubangs, or stone gods offering protection and fertility (these are original harubangs, unlike most you see around the island now which were made fairly recently)

Fruit everywhere...

And seafood everywhere....


Look forward to more specific posts soon! It might take me a while to post things, because, even though I was only there for 4 full days I hit three or four places per day so it's going to be a while to get everything up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment