Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Gopchang Post

After a few drinks on Saturday night me and my English buddy were convinced by our Korean significant others to try gopchang (곱장) Saturday night. It's something I've been meaning to do for.. well, ever... since my neighborhood is famous for the stuff (when I ask the taxi drivers to go to hwanghak sagori they usual cock their heads for a minute thinking and then ask... 'you mean the place with all the gopchang?').

The uncooked gopchang

So, what is gopchang? Well, it's intestines of course. They can come from sheep, cow or pork. I'm not sure which one we ate, but I imagine the taste might be quite similar.

The ajumma making our gopchang outside on the grill

How was it? Well, the flavor was great! I think the thing that would turn off most people who aren't accustomed to eating it would be the texture, which is quite a bit chewy at times. Also, some restaurants can have a very strong smell as well, which I sometimes smell around my neighborhood since there are so many gopchang restaurants.

Our gopchang, ready to eat. You can see some ddeok and veggies fried in. It was slightly spicy, but not very much.

Anyway, I highly recommend trying some gopchang at your local restaurant, or making your way to Hwanghak-dong near Sindang Station where you can choose from many storefronts and street tents that make the stuff.

5 comments:

  1. Technically, what you ate was gopchang. However, that gunk with the ddok, gochujang and sesame seeds on it is to gopchang as a Mickey D's burger patty is to a sirloin steak.

    I'm far from an expert, but I want to suggest you try again, and stay away from pojangmacha for it. Really, if you liked that okay, you'll love the unadorned item, cooked on the table grill, with other organ meat like liver and kidney, and onion, garlic and potato slices as well. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but intestines are one of the 4 Korean foods I cannot abide. The other three are chicken toes, grilled swine skin, and boiled silkworm cocoons. I’ve actually tried them all except the last one – the smell of the boendaeggi drives me off before I get a spoon close enough. I decided a while ago that I can like Korean food even if I don’t like EVERY Korean food.

    The main problem I have with gopchang isn’t the flavor or the texture, but just the purely psychological awareness of what they once contained. I won’t get more graphic than this, not here. A month or so after arrival, some buddies and I ordered some at bbq place. Afterward, we said, “Okay, we tried it. Now we are allowed to talk about it.”

    If I were consistent about this, I would feel the same about sundae, because of course the casing is usually made from intestines, just like old-style German sausage. I’m not consistent, though. I like sundae – it’s tasty, and I think, quite healthy – and I love old-style German sausage.

    I want to thank the author of this blog for avoiding a bad pun by saying that “I don’t care what people say, gopchang does NOT taste offal.”

    (Oh dear, looks like I just did it, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article!
    Your photo and its’ source have been featured on the World Food Guide website:
    http://worldfood.guide/photo/gopchang_1310/

    ReplyDelete
  4. RELIABLE BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? AFFORDABLE LOAN IS HERE FOR YOU TODAY Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    We are financial consultants providing reliable loans to individuals and funding for business, home and projects start up. Are you tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess. Do you have a low credit score, and you will find it difficult to get loans from banks and other financial institutions? then worry no more for we are the solution to your financial misfortune. we offer all types of loan ranging from $5,000.00 to $2,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender? Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    Do you have a bad credit? Do you need money to pay bills? Do you need loan to buy, refinance or renovate your home? Is it necessary to start a new business? Do you have an unfinished project due to poor funding? Do you need money to invest in any specialty that will benefit you? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS aims is to provide excellent professional financial services which include the followings

    * Personal loans * Business loans
    * Home loans * Farm Loans
    * Education loans * Debt consolidation loans
    * Truck Loans * Car Loans
    * Hotels Loans * Refinancing Loans
    * Venture capital and many more.

    We are certified, reliable, financially powerful, fast and dynamic, with no credit check and offers a 100% guarantee loans and finances THANKS

    Yours Faithfully
    Prof. Dorothy Pilkenton Jean
    profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the informative blog! waiting for next post.- Indian street food surrey

    ReplyDelete