Friday, February 12, 2010

What not to give...

You know, every culture has it's own tradition of gift giving. In Chinese culture, I've heard you shouldn't give a clock, because it means your time is ticking... and you shouldn't give knives.. for obvious reasons.

Western traditions have certain, possibly more subtle, gift giving guidelines... I'm pretty sure my only Seollal (Chinese New Year) gift from my students would fall under that "what not to give a westerner" category.


In case you can't read the fine print, I took a close up shot...


Anti hair loss energy. I guess I'm balding then. My Korean coworker was quite pleased with this gift. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate that they got me a gift, since I've only been teaching their son for two weeks, but I guess this is a case where some cultural education must be made on the other side.

Oh well, I might use it anyway. Never too early to start preventing hair loss..

This weekend should be fairly eventful, and I will witness my first Seollal with a Korean family so I'll be sure to update next week and update on how that all goes on Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious! It looks like it should go into the regift closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this box one time loaded up with soy bean soap and bamboo salt toothpaste. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete