Thursday, February 25, 2010

Dongdaemun History and Culture Park (Under Construction)

After two months at home, I sort of expected to see something change in Seoul... but fortunately or unfortunately, things seemed more or less the same... until I happened to pass by Dongdaemun STADIUM station, only to find that it no longer bore the name that I have always, so fondly, called it. It was now Dongdaemun History and Culture Park Station. The name is so long in Korean that it's actually very slightly cut off from the digital display that shows each station's name as you ride the train. Since my boyfriend works near here, I feel like I am always talking about 동대문운동장 this or that... and now... I can't even remember the name of the stupid station in Korean because it is so freaking long. -_-

Anyway, enough rant. If a new park opens this close to my house I need to check it out. While it's only half finished, you're still welcome to walk about the finished park and check out the progress on the other half. The photo above is a plan of what it will look like when it's finished. Since Seoul is the "World Design Capital 2010" (whatever that means) It is basically one big flashy design project that they grace with the name park, for lack of a better word. There are a few trees, and a patch or two of grass, so I guess it's no worse than most neighborhood parks around here.

Yes, yes, Seoul, brag about the fact that you are the World Design Capital, but frankly, I don't think it's a major pull for your "Visit Korea Year 2010-2012"

I didn't have time to check out the insides yet, but this looks like some sort of cafe? Maybe there is/will be a museum here.

View from the middle of the park, looking at that mysterious newly constructed building across the street... not quite sure what's gona be in there...

As you can see, the walkways here are not on the ground, but raised in a artsy kind of way. It's fun to walk around, but just don't expect too much greenery here...


Here you can see some dead grass (well, it is winter) and the main shops of Dongdaemun in the background.

Next time you're in the area shopping, take a walk around... I don't expect the other half to be completed for some time, but in the meantime, have a look see at what they're working on and what they have finished..

No comments:

Post a Comment