Friday, February 13, 2009

Taxi Cab Conversations...


I've had too many strange conversations to list with taxi drivers here, most of which I don't remember. Today was a good example of one:

We get in the taxi and tell him where we are going. They always look a little confused, but they always take us where we tell them to go.

Driver: Where from... uh.. 오디?

Me: 미국 사람이예요. (I'm American)


Driver: 아! 미국! (Ah! America!) California, Colorado, Nevada, Montana, Denver, mlmlojdkfjasifjelfkmnasl;jaoiwevnkd.... (jubbled words that were unrecognizable but may have been an attempt to name some of the 50 states)


Me: Massachusetts.. uh... Boston... and New Jersey


Driver: Ah! Massachusetts! uh.... ㅣㅏㅓ리ㅏㅓ피ㅓ대ㅓㅍ미아ㅓ (my listening skills are bad...)


Me: uh... 몰라요.... (I don't know...)


Driver: uh... first time Korea?

Me: 아니요... 영어 선생님이예요. (No... I'm an English teacher)

Driver: Ahh... double or single?

Me: What??


Driver: You... single.... double... what?

Me: Sorry, I don't understand.


Driver: You... Mrs. or Miss?? (oh, crap, he's asking me if I'm single)


Me: Uh.... Mrs. (complete lie... obviously)


Driver: 아! ㅣㄴㄷ리 ㅏㅇ네 냐 ㅣㅊ디 ㅈ (Yea, I need better Korean listening skills... no idea)
Me: uh... 몰라요.... (I don't know...)

Driver: Husband.... in America?


Me: No! Here!


Driver: Husband... what... do?


Me: 영어 선생님이예요..... (He's an English teacher....)


Fortunately at this point it was time for me to get out of the cab. I called out 요기요! And jumped out as fast as I could. Awkward...

6 comments:

  1. Well I'm a little sad I wasn't invited to the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, had to get married in a rush to get this creep-o off my back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you borrowing my story???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linked this in my post on...'http://expatabundance.blogspot.com/

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joy... though it's a little embarrassing to go back and read this post now that I can actually speak Korean...I guess everyone goes through this time though...

    ReplyDelete